James Wu, Esq.
During the past 16 years, James Y. Wu developed his top-notch legal skills by practicing primarily employment and labor law at some of the nation’s largest and leading law firms including Littler Mendelson, Reed Smith and McDermott, Will & Emery. Prior to starting his own firm, James was a Partner in the Employment Group at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith in San Francisco.
James developed an expertise in assisting clients of any size with strategies for avoiding litigation and minimizing exposure during litigation. He has built strong and sustained client relationships by providing strategic, thoughtful and straightforward legal advice and counsel on a myriad of topics, including the following:
• Wrongful discharge
• Wage and hour issues (wage payment, break time compliance, overtime issues, etc.)
• Restrictive covenants
• Leaves of absence
• Class actions
• Breach of contract
• Independent Contractors
• Drafting/updating Employee Handbooks and Policies
• Drafting/updating Employee Agreements, including Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreements, and Severance/Separation Agreements
Simply put, for many clients, James is an “in-house attorney working remotely.”
• During litigation, James has a strong record of vigorously representing clients in all levels of state and federal courts in California. He also has a proven ability to handle claims in federal and state administrative agencies including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), and the California Labor Commissioner’s office, including the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).
• James earned his law degree from Boston College Law School. During law school, James was an intern with the Office for Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Education, and served as an Assistant District Attorney in Cambridge, Mass.
• In addition to his law degree, James graduated from Stanford University with two degrees: a Master of Arts in Education Administration and Policy Analysis and a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.
James is the owner of his own firm, Law Office of James Y. Wu, and he independently handles employment and labor law advice/counseling work and litigation matters on behalf of Vision Law® Corporation®.